FW: Archival matters

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 03/20/02-06:07:28 PM Z

----------
From: clay <wcharmon@wt.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:03:53 -0600
To: Ed Buffaloe <EdBuffaloe@unblinkingeye.com>
Subject: Re: Archival matters

Ed and Sandy:

I think the gist of the Michael Smith article was that dry mounting seemed
to forestall the chemical degradation of the silver b&w prints and the
dye-based color prints by serving as a no-pass zone on the back of the print
for pollutants and other image destroying compounds. Both carbon and
platinum are supposedly as archival as the paper they are printed on, so it
seems the main issue is whether dry-mounting makes some future
restorationist happy or sad when faced with the task of repairing a damaged
print. Personally, I just hope someone cares enough in the distant future to
bother with repairing any of my stuff.

Clay