Fresson's beauty - Re: Fresson secret?

John,

I believe that the real beauty of Fresson lies in their monochrome prints.
>From a distance they look very much like a gum print which has had enough
coatings applied to build a really dense shadow tone. However, they are
different in that the surface reflectance changes along with density so
that highlights are slightly reflective while the shadows are absolutely
dead matte black.  In fact, the shadows are so intense that look as if you
will pick up a smudge of pigment when touched.  When viewed without glass,
they exhibit a sort of 3D effect which I think is due to the reflectance
change.

The color images do not have the reflectance gradient but are also unique
as they can exhibit a pointillistic effect which I have not seen in any
other contemporary alt photo process.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA