Re: Fresson's beauty - Re: Fresson secret?

> John,
>
> I believe that the real beauty of Fresson lies in their monochrome
> prints. >From a distance they look very much like a gum print which has
> had enough
> coatings applied to build a really dense shadow tone. However, they are
> different in that the surface reflectance changes along with density so
> that highlights are slightly reflective while the shadows are absolutely
> dead matte black.  In fact, the shadows are so intense that look as if
> you
> will pick up a smudge of pigment when touched.  When viewed without
> glass,
> they exhibit a sort of 3D effect which I think is due to the reflectance
> change.
>
> The color images do not have the reflectance gradient but are also
> unique
> as they can exhibit a pointillistic effect which I have not seen in any
> other contemporary alt photo process.
>
> Sincerely, Art
>

> Art Chakalis
> Columbus, Ohio, USA

Art,

I've often looked at colour Fressons and thought how similar they were to
some experiments I did years back using 4 colour gum applied using random
halftone screens (made by printing photographic grain onto high contrast
film), which created a similar pointillistic effect, although somewhat
coarser as the halftone screens I made were rather coarse.

I also made some fairly similar effects by using random halftone screens
to make 4 colour silkscreen images.

Easier to get Fresson to print them though!

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About          http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
My London Diary	              http://mylondondiary.co.uk/