Re: fresson

Pete,

I was wondering if you had remembered our bet . . . I can't claim that
I've won yet but based on what I have learned I will go for double or
nothing.

As it turns out, testing for gum arabic is a rather difficult test . . .
some friends are still working on it.  I had hoped to have the results by
now, but the work is a government job (in the states that's a nice way of
saying it is being worked on for free which I have never understood how
anything about the government can connote free . . . someone's idea of the
ultimate oxymoron I suppose).  I'm told they have a test methodology and
are waiting for little lighter work load to get the tests run.

In addition to the raw paper, I had several contemporary prints run, two
(one monochrome & one color) of which were sacrificed for analytical
testing.

I hope to attend the APIS.  I have held back on making reservations as a
daughter is getting married about 1 week later and I won't travel unless
the event is a go.

Hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely, Art

On Thu, 2 May 2002, pete wrote:

> Pete
>
> Dick,
>
> Yes I was at APIS 97 and Art and I had a bet on whether the traditional
> Fresson contained Gum  he was going to do some backwards engineering to
> determine it one way or the other. As I have had no redress I claim my right
> as the winner >grin<
>
> Pete
>
> > Pete,
> >
> > There were areas that were off limits when I was there. And yes the secret
> > is in the paper. I believe you were at APIS 97 in Bath, otherwise known as
> > the Sweatlodge, when Art did his presentation on Fresson. I believe art is
> > working on the theory of a gum/gelatin mix which is not compatible, thus
> > making a fine reticulation in the gelatin which aids in direct development.
> >
> > --Dick
> >

> > At 06:17 PM 5/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> >> Pete
> >>
> >> Argon,
> >>
> >> No this was a bit of a red herring I have done an in depth study of this
> >> process, the secret is in the coating of the paper a secret machine was
> >> used. The man that has the real secret apart from the Fresson family is Luis
> >> Nadeau who has/had a machine he bought from Jose Ortis Echague. A picture of
> >> this machine and Echague operating it can be found  in a book published by
> >> Gordon Fraser 1979.

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA