Re: fresson

On Thu, 2 May 2002 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> The only show of Fresson I've seen was by fashion photographer  Sheila
> Metzner, who is one of the studio's top customers.  I found them rather ugly.

Metzner gave a lecture some years ago to a friend's class, which I
attended. I've never been a fan of her images, but found the vaunted
beauty of the process itself, um, elusive.  One interesting point
however... standing to one side, I noticed a white veiling over a central
part of the print (which otherwise looked -- to me -- not that different
from a C print), and asked about it.

She said she'd never noticed it, but when it was called to her attention
explained that she'd told the printer she wanted that area a little
lighter -- so it seems they coated it with a (thin) white layer.

As for "ugly" -- a bit later she did some more "graphic" semi-abstract
landscapes in fresson, a lot of purple and black. Critics liked them. They
looked like art!  I found them rather ugly.

Judy