Hanfstaengl

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Carbon tissue was still available from Germany until the early 80's and
> then it went off the market. There was some marketing of tissue for years
> after that but I've heard it was foggier than a London night. Quite
> possibly German tissue. I've also heard rumors that the German tissue had
> it last run years before the announced discontinuance and it was stored up
> tissue that was sold.
>
> This is mostly from memory and conjecture so if anyone knows the correct
> version of the last days of carbon tissue I'd love to be enlightened.

Klaus Pollmeier bought out the last of the Hanfstangl stock in 1992 (as
described P-F #2, page 6), which he sold along with related materials &
used for Drtikol reprints. He brought some with him (black and brown if
memory serves) when he visited here maybe 5 years ago.  He used it for a
carbon demo for my class, and students got to try a small print or two of
their own. Results were so beautiful a couple set out to make carbon
tissue themselves -- but did not succeed.

The list offered help, but it was no go... (I think those weren't the
most, um, scientific, of the lot at that stage of their maturation.) I
noticed recently that I have a small piece of the Hanfstangl saved from
that event, tho I daresay past its prime.

Judy