Re: Rank Beginner....

Hi:

I did the math quite a while ago.  I estimated that the cost of a "unit"
of silver nitrate would cost roughly the same as a box of a paper.  For
the cost of 50 sheets of black and white paper, you can buy enough silver
nitrate to make at least 50 salted paper prints.

The other ingredients can be bought from the grocery store - except for
the paper.

I don't have prices handy and haven't bought printing paper in a
looooonggg time, so I could be wrong.

Gord

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Sat, 4 May 2002, Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:
> > ....salt print chemistry works out to be around the same
> > as buying b&W paper...
>
> Gord, I'm trying to figure that out... What does a sheet of 8x10 paper
> cost ? About 50 cents?, 75 cents?  (I haven't bought any for a while.)
>
> If you can/will lay in a pound of silver nitrate, that would be -- what
> is it now...$100, maybe $195 ??? and unless you're making enormous
> prints, a pound would last practically forever.
>
> Are there other expensive ingredients?
>
> Judy

Gordon J. Holtslander		Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca		112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg	University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433		Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461		Canada  S7N 5E2