Re: P/P and different developers

Carl,

Thanks for the information about potassium oxalate.

Based on some of my recent difficulties with streaking in printing
kallitype with 20X24 negatives I suspect that your problem may be due
to an inadequate amount of sensitizer, and/or and brushing for too
long. I had been using about 6ml of combined solution for 12X20
prints and reasoned that doubling that amount should work fine for a
20X24 print. However, with 12ml of solution I immediately saw some
streaking on the 20X24 prints, even though the coated emulsion looked
very even when dry. I increased the amount to 16ml and the problem
went away. I think that with small amount of sensitizer the solution
dries very quickly and once it reaches a certain level of dryness you
get brush strokes. I think that the key to success is to use a lot of
solution, then brush it on and even it out *very quickly* before it
starts to dry out.

I am not certain about the humidity requirements of kallitype but I
was getting pretty good results in the winter when humidity was
around 55%, and now it is around 65% and things are still working
well.

BTW, in making the 20X24 prints I found that I can get full toning,
as judged by a complete change of color from maroon to neutral black,
with the #3 platinum solution using just 0.25ml of solution in 500ml
of water with 2.5g of citric acid.

Sandy