Re: refinishing a printing frame: what to use?

Philip,

Definitely do not leave the wood raw. The wood will expand and contract
excessively. Also, unsealed wood has a better chance of cracking or
splitting. Simply wash the frame in a solution of laundry detergent and
water. Don't soak it. Use a green scrubby pad and gentle pressure. RInse
well and let dry. You can the wipe the wood with mineral spirits, acetone,
or denatured alcohol. You may have to experiment to see what solvent removes
the finish, if that is your wish. Formbies makes a product for cleaning old
furniture that works well also.  After the cleaning, lightly sand the
surface with some fine sand paper and follow up with 0000 steel wool. Once
you are sure the old finish is gone, you can shellac, varnish, lacquer or a
water based poly urethane. The old timers used mostly shellac. The real
fussy wood workers would use a thin "spit coat" of shellac then a finish
coat of varnish. I use mat urethane for finishing most things because of its
better durability. The idea of contamination from the finish is unfounded.
Once any of these finishes fully dry, they polymerize and rarely off gas or
transfer.

Good luck.

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ.