refinishing a printing frame: what to use?

I've got an old & very dirty printing frame that I've
been cleaning up & sanding the dirt/stains off of.  It
appears to have been unfinished wood originally.  I'm
wondering if I should leave it raw, or if I should
varnish or otherwise treat it to protect it against
possible chemical drips/spills.  It's a toss up:
unfinished, it may soak up something and contaminate
future prints, but wood finishes might also
contaminate some processes.  Suggestions, anyone?

-- Philip
-- pwillarney@yahoo.com