Dynamic Range, was Re: Ziatype

Jeffrey Mathias wrote:

>Fortunately, a negative can
>contain much more information than the silver or platinum processes can
>utilize.  But remember that many negatives made for silver printing may
>fall short of the dynamic range seen by a platinum variation.
>
>--
>Jeffrey D. Mathias
>http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/

Jeffrey,

What in the world do you mean by the "dynamic range" of a platinum
variation? I have a pretty good understanding of the kind of
negatives needed for different processes but really not a clue what
you mean by this term.  Could you perhaps explain it in the common
language of sensitometry that many of us could understand?

Sandy King