Pt/Pd developers and kallitype

Most of the sources that I have read indicate that Pt/Pd developers
do not need to be replenished, only topped off. Is this true? And is
it true for all developers, including ammonium and sodium citrate?

Which brings me to another question. I have noticed that it is
absolutely essential for me to replenish the sodium citrate developer
at about the rate of 200ml of fresh solution per 12X20 print. Just
topping off the solution causes staining that can not be subsequently
cleared. Anyone have any idea why this developer appears to work
differently with kallitype than with Pt/Pd?

Sandy King