Re: old cyanotype formulae

The history of cyanotype, it seems, is long and complex. Herschel is
supposed to have suggested the process around 1850 but the processes he was
refering to is a "positive" process i.e. opposite of what is being used
today. Nothing much was done with this until Pellet patented a process in
1877.
You can get a lot of references in Luis Nadeau's "Encyclopedi of Printing,
Photographic, and Photomechanical Processes."

Bob Schramm

>From: "alnovo@inwind.it" <alnovo@inwind.it>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: old cyanotype formulae
>Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:42:58 +0200
>
>I am writing some notes on cyanotype formulae, and a brief reasearch in
>Internet gave me about 20 differen recipes.
>Among these, the so-called "classical" (see P-F #5, p.34) with 20% Fe Am.
>Citrate + 8% Pot. Ferricyanide, but also 10% + 5%
>(http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa061801e.htm), 25% + 16%
>(http://www.dmuenzberg.de/cykassl.htm), 24% + 7% (Rodolfo Namias,
>Photographic Chemistry Vol. II, pag. 204 - VII Ed. - Milano 1929 -in
>Italian) and so on. Moreover, the ratio Fe citrate / Pot. Ferric. spans
>from 0.7 (http://www2.truman.edu/~jobrien/JINS/Cyanotypes.pdf) up to 6.25
>(http://personal.riverusers.com/~jdf/todd_walker/blueprint.html), while the
>"Classical" ratio is 2.5.
>
>Perhaps some formulations have been set up by an author for his chemicals,
>paper, quality of water, and for his personal taste about the blue, but I
>am wondering who were the true ancestors of these formulae. For example,
>Namias 1908 and 1927 has the same I have reported.
>
>Anyone has some other indication (Clerc, Glafkides, or even older) ?
>
>Alberto
>
>http://www.grupponamias.com/index_en.html
>http://spazioweb.inwind.it/albertonovo/index_en.html

Check out my web page at: