Re: Cyanotype fading at dying (dry-up effect)

Some papers are buffered with a mild base. This is common practice with
materials used for archival work. Sometimes the paper manufacturer does not
give this information. So, just a guess, but have you tested the pH of the
paper you are using? Any base will cause fading of cyanotype.

Bob Schramm

>From: Stane Kočar <revija.les@siol.net>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Cyanotype fading at dying (dry-up effect)
>Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:29:30 +0200
>
>After trying quite a lot of different papers with both classical and MW
>cyanotype I noticed, that all my cyanotypes fades at drying - just opposite
>the dry-down. When picture is OK when wet, it becomes to pale when dries up
>- let say for minimal one zone.
>First I thought that our water contains too much carbonates, so I washed my
>pictures whole time in acidified water (with citric acid) and fading was
>again there.
>Anybody has an explanation of that effect? (I looked at archives and did't
>find any answer).

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

also look at: