Re: NuArc 'plate burner' vs. HID lamp vs. Super Actinic, etc.

David:

I use a NuArc 26-1K unit quite a bit. What is really nice about these units
are the built-in light integrators that accurately monitor the output of the
lamps and give you very repeatable exposures. The built in vacuum frame also
ensures that your prints are very sharp. The vacuum frame is especially nice
if you do negatives larger than 8x10.

Some possible trade-offs: 1) Mine is slower than my black light light box 2)
They are noisy and throw off quite a bit of heat (I think the heat can be a
factor in doing gum exposures) 3) They are difficult to manage with
printing-out processes (such as VDB, cyanotype, POP, and Zia) because you
are not able to examine the print during exposure without messing up the
negative-print registration. The older units also break from time to time -
I just replaced the vacuum pump in mine for about $250, and new bulbs cost
about $100, if my memory is accurate.

If you are doing develop-out platinum or kallitype or possibly gum, a Nuarc
might be a good choice. If you want the flexibility of doing POP processes
in addition to DOP, a box and a quality printing frame may be the way to go.
Many people, (including myself), have both. A half hour with a stouffers
test wedge will let you calibrate the two units to one another.

Just some thoughts on the relative merits of these units.

Good luck,

Clay