Re: UFOs in my negatives

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 11/03/02-04:24:13 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@pdq.net>
To: <pure-silver@tundraware.com>
Cc: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 7:26 PM
Subject: UFOs in my negatives

> Some of the negatives I've been processing this week have
weird
> hexagonal shapes on them of slightly greater density. The
negatives
> are 8x10 and the UFOs are about the size of a quarter. Is
this some
> kind of flare? Is there a way to prevent it? I shot most
of these
> negatives in a creek bed, so there could have been some
reflections
> off the water, I guess, causing flare. But it seems odd
that it's
> always in the middle of the negative.
>
> Excuse the cross posting if you read pure silver and alt
photo process.

> --shannon

  Sounds like images of the diaphragm. Check the lens to see
if it has an iris of the same shape. If so, it could be a
result of internal reflections or of a stuck shutter
projecting an image of the iris or of itself.
  It can sometimes also be caused by shutter bounce. That is
where the shutter bounces open again for an instant after
closing. Its hard to spot by eye but a shutter tester will
often show it.
  I could still something else but the consistent shape
suggests the diaphragm.
  I've seen old press photos taken in a snow storm where the
reflections of the flash from nearby snowflakes produced
diaphragm shaped spots.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA