Re: Problems clearing with cyanotype.

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/05/02-09:29:16 PM Z

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 rurmonas@senet.com.au wrote:

> The issue I am having is washing out the unexposed chemistry. This needs
> to be removed to ensure the longevity of the print, as well as giving
> clear highlights. I decided to wash the coated paper immediately
> after drying as the influience of heat, very low exposure etc. etc.
> can be eliminated from the possible causes.

Have you been reading Scopick or someone else on the Anderson
gum-pigment-ratio test, where you wash out gum+pigment that's not been
exposed, as a test? it's based on a false premise, and results are very
misleading. That is, they imply you can use a lot less pigment
than you actually can use safely.

I never heard of anyone trying that with cyano, in which clearing is
rarely if ever a problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if you've run into
the same problem -- that the chemistry changes during exposure, maybe even
putting it in water without exposure has a staining effect.

Whatever, I agree with Michael's suggestion, and go even further -- this
"test" is simply putting off, um, let's call it exposing yourself. Try a
print.

But, PS: How long did you soak? A half hour? In running water? And it
still didn't clear?

Judy