Re: Where eagles fly, and some alt photographers go!

From: Shannon Stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 11/07/02-09:27:03 AM Z

Sam wrote:

>But Shannon, if a picture is what you wanted, you can always just
>paste a blue heron in from stock photos. (Ducking.)

I drew it in with a sharpie pen. ;-)

>Sandy's point, as I saw it, was that there's life to be lived and
>treasured, even if we can't turn it into pictures. Or perhaps
>sometime it's even better to remain as "ones that got away."

It's true that it's hard to really pay attention to what's happening
in the moment and also be taking a picture. That's why I didn't take
a camera at all to Europe last time I went, in 1994. I thought it
would be a distraction from really looking. I took a sketchbook
instead. But that was back in my 35mm days. I am happier with the
view camera because it does encourage that kind of sketchbook
looking: long, slow, leisurely. However, if I'd been there with
y'all, I would have forgotten all about my camera too, for looking
into the eyes of eagles.

--shannon