Re: Woodburytypes

From: Craig Zammiello (zamm@optonline.net)
Date: 11/08/02-10:46:37 PM Z

> The point is, carbon and woodburytype prints are really the same. Not
> similar, but *physically* identical. Woodburytype is really only a
> process capable of making multiple carbons. Place a carbon print side
> by side with a woodburytype and there are less than two people on the
> planet who would know the difference.
>
> Sandy King

No Sandy, I have to differ with you on this point. Woodburytypes have a lot
more gelatin deposited into the surface of the paper.Yes, they are
physically the same material, a pigmented colliod, but the act of pressing a
substantial amount of gelatin into the surface also builds depth in the
shadows. You can "see" into the deep mid tones and shadows like a 3D affair.
I have used all of the commercial carbon tissues and also home grown tissues
and the deposit is noticibly less then what can be achieved in a good
Woodburytype.
I've seen them next to each other in the Museum of Photography, Antwerp,
Belgium.
 Really, there is a difference.
I must be one of the two people who can tell. :)
All kidding aside, if you can dig up that info on Woodburytype I'll get that
closer to making one and we can compare!
Really appreciate any help Sandy,
Best, Craig