Re: slide scanner(s)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/11/02-01:14:03 AM Z

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Joe wrote:

> Just to reinforce Dan's prior comments, the extra bits can easily prove
> their value when making curve adjustments on the scan. You have to make
> some serious moves sometimes (especially when making dig negs a la
> Burkholder) and inherent problems of digital/pixel images might become
> apparent. 16bit images give you more information, more quality
> information; hence more ability to reposition those tonal values
> elsewhere on the scale and avoid posterization and other problems. For
> similiar conceptual reasons, scanning at optical resolution can stave
> off degradation of image quality and I would stress doing that as well.
> If you are making inkjet negs, you would need to convert back to 8-bit
> prior to printing, after making as many adjustments as you can in 16bit
> (not all Photoshop tools can be used in 16bit mode, but PS7 gives you
> everything you need if you are taking good shots in the first place)

Actually I'm taking -- or took -- terrible shots. For forseeable future
plan is to make large negs from some of the hundreds of rolls I shot in
Times Square pre-disney... grab shots, technically, um, run of the roll in
the light du jour -- or de la nuit. But I'm going to take your advice
anyway and get the plus... It's so rare that the expert tells you to do
what you want to do anyway... thank you.

> Also to a agree with Dan, use the firewire connection. USB can be slower
> than the scanners ability to send data to the G4, and I find firewire
> more reliable anyways. SCSI bandwidth is overkill for scanning, but
> better than USB.

My understanding was that the 4000 is SCSI, the 4000+ firewire/USB.
mixing,

> or other channel manipulation techniques, you can mix and match
> tonalities and local contrast areas to you liking. Very cool.

I'd like to do that, though thought of yet another learning curve is
dizzying... I envision the scanner that comes with a pill. Swallow and
you've got the manual internalized...

meanwhile, thanks again...

& cheers,

Judy