Re: Other Scanners, MF--Imacon. . . ?

From: Joe (jtait@texas.net)
Date: 11/13/02-11:11:27 PM Z

Rick Becker-Leckrone wrote:

>Phillip,
>
>My thoughts exactly. Before investing in Imacon, I consulted with a
number
>of industry professionals. Scans from my Imacon Photo are clearly
superior
>to any other scanner in the same price range. There really isn't much
>debate about this in the imaging community.

I guess it depends who you talk to and what "clearly superior" means.
Just like everything else there are trends and reputation, and Imacon
has capitalized on both. Frankly, if you want clear significant
differences, you need to go to the big boys that have retained the
actual "imaging community" all along like Creo-Scitex, Heidelberg and
the like, etc....

But I really think that a decent amount of it has to do with the
psychology of the "imaging community" and their taboo that anything not
prohibitively expensive can't be worth a damn. Maybe they are the
demonspawn of the Hassy-Nazis, I don't know, but this whole attitude
has bled down into the "prosumer, semi-professional" end of the market,
which I would argue Imacon occupies. There is some truth to the
adherents claims, but statements like "clearly superior" are dubious IMHO.

Nikon, Minolta, Microtek, & Polaroid's prices are targeted at another
subset of this market (not necessarily a reflection of better
construction/components on Imacon's part). They are playing their hand
and some people are buying in because it has finally become affordable,
and some are realizing that, in this segment of the market, quality
differences aren't all that clear before you start spending _a lot_ more
money. My contention anyways.

There is a re-defining of what really good results can be obtained for a
reasonable price, just as Imacon did several years ago in stealing away
some previously higher-end buyers. Things have gone predictably, and I
bet you that Imacon will continue to adjust to these companies' threats
while the newcomers continue to improve their product lines. We will all
benefit from it in terms of higher quality for less money regardless.

> I would say drum scanners DO
>have some advantages, such as minimizing apparent dust. However, my
>wet-mount friends don't get as much done as I do in the same time
frame. I
>can mount and scan immediately - no oils, no solvents. Sure, I can
only do
>a couple at a time, but while I have the next couple scanning, I'm in
>Photoshop working on the first two.

Speed/convenience is what has made CCDs, otherwise massive investment in
the technology wouldn't have happened, but PMT is currently _clearly
superior_. Apparent dust is an aftethought when you see the sharpness,
color clarity and luscious tonalities of a Tango drum scan. This is
where there isn't much debate....

>As for dust removal algorithms, they are all software - whether on a
chip in
>the scanner, or on the host computer.

Well, not exactly. By hardware I mean a separate IR channel scanning the
film surface for dust doesn't compare to a post-scan attempt at removing
said dust. Algorithims are used in both cases, but you can't compare the
two and say the same thing is happening. An IR channel offers a more
reliable and compelling way to isolate unwanted detail, i.e. dust,
scratches, scum etc.

>And all of them create some image
>softening. Best to get the transparency as clean as possible before
>scanning and then work the healing tool in Photoshop in my opinion.

Wholeheartedly agree. I mentioned dICE because it is worthwhile and if
most current models offer it, then it becomes industry standard. Imacon
doesn't have the technology in any of their products, including their
recently released 848; and they have released a software-only plug-in in
response. Polaroid has done the same, and is one of the few downsides of
the Polaroid 120 in my eyes. It's all a moot point if all you do is scan
B&W, as mentioned before.

>Anyway, I'm sure Joe has some reasonable points. And budget is always a
>concern. But I've been very happy with my Imacon, and so have my clients
>and agencies.

That last comment is the bottom line and should be the only determinant.

Take care,
Joe