RE: GUM - STARCH - ?????

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/15/02-01:09:14 AM Z

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Temi wrote:
> .... I used up all of my gelatin
> sized paper which was made during classes and then I made two prints
> using starch - but each had only one coat of gum.

If you're only using one coat -- you don't need to preshrink so you don't
need to size. Most papers have enough surface size from the manufacturer
to print very well if they haven't been wet yet & had the nap raised.
(though maybe you planned to print more coats?)

Anyway,you may be thinking that spray starch is the only kind of starch...
there's the kind you mix up and boil from a box of Argo -- tho of course
that would take as long -- longer than gelatin. I'd think though that you
could get a coat of gelatin mixed, applied & dried in an hour...If you're
at school -- do they have glyoxal?

On the bright side, you learned that you can't believe everything you read
in a book... that's probably the most important thing to learn in alt.

Judy