Re: Is there a chemist in the house?

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 11/17/02-06:33:59 PM Z

Dick,

> Ammonium ferric oxalate, sodium ferric oxalate and lithium ferric oxalate
> will work in the Ziatype with subtly different results between the three.

It has been my experience that there is much more than a subtle difference
between AFO, SFO, and LFO when used in a Ziatype.
All three of these maybe used alone or in combination, giving a a lot of
variations in color and contrast of the print. I'm not pointing this out for
you but as a note to Temi.

> There is some indication that sodium ferric oxalate can be used in the
> Ziatype if B+S Na2 Na2PtCl6 is used as a contrast agent. This has not been
> confirmed as I have not tested this out yet.

Now this really confuses me. Are you suggesting that the SFO prints flat or
what, that is, what is the necessity for the NA2when used with SFO? Could
you expand on this please?

Thanks,

Don Bryant