Re: tintypes

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/18/02-02:37:36 PM Z

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Excuse the cross posting, but I can't remember if it was this list or the
> pure silver, that someone was asking about
> how to do tintypes. I just bought Jill Enfield's book, Photo Imaging: A
> Complete Guide to Alternative Processes, and it has a chapter in there
> devoted to tintypes. It is also a beautiful book, well illustrated and
> organized. Packed with info. It has these chapters: IR, liquid emulsion,
> enlarged negs, ink jet transfers, polaroid processes, cyanos, kallitypes,
> platinum/palladium, tintypes, hand coloring, and other stuff. But someone

Chris,

I have an interview with Jill in the (forever) upcoming Post-Factory,
along with a rundown of the book ending with guarantee that "it's a lovely
book you'll want to add to your collection." However the tintype chapter
(despite one of the prettiest tintypes I've seen, "Goose," by Jill
herself, as are all the other photographs) was one that I myself have
reservations about.

That is, it failed to make clear if you didn't already know that this is
not authentic vintage tintype. I would have suggested a chapter title on
the order of, "Modern Tintype." The "tintype" here uses modern emulsion
in a bottle and black enamel spray paint. For all I know this makes works
MORE beautiful than vintage tintype, but I hate to see the distinction
lost or blurred.... to beginners as well as professionals.

The question of Jane Hinds Bidaut and how she makes her tintypes is not
answered or even addressed in this book... I had heard that she does use a
modern emulsion, and know of no reason not to, especially given the beauty
of some of her results. But unless you have some other info, I wouldn't
say "this is how J.... etc.". (Her name isn't in Jill's index.)

> was asking a while back about Jane Hinds Bidaut and how she does her
> tintypes, and this book answers that question. I also like the price--it
> retails for $29.95 and was $20.97 at Amazon.
> If you are going to do tintypes, this would be a great book to buy.
> Watson Guptill is the publisher. And, I do not get paid for doing this
> advertisement :)....just think it is one of the better ones on the market,
> and you aren't out $45 as you are with other books of this type...

It well may be a better value for the money than others, and there were in
fact a couple or three items in this book I need to try -- but certain
processes (eg., gum, carbon, & albumen) are entirely absent... so no
direct comparison holds...

Judy