Re: Show and Workshop in Madrid, Spain

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 11/24/02-01:28:07 PM Z

I did some research in the archives and library of the Real Sociedad
Fotografica back in the late 1980s for the book I did on Spanish
Pictorialism. They have some very interesting original prints
(bromoils, gums, fressons, etc.) by a number of well-known Spanish
pictorialists, including Oritz-Echague.

One visit in particular comes to mind. One evening I was visiting
with one of the officers of the RSF in the library. When I arrived I
noticed that a new show was opening that evening in the exhibition
hall so when I finished my conversation with the librarian I decided
to have a look at the show. We opened the door the the exhibition
room, which is about 20X40' as I recall, and there were about 50-75
people in attendance, nearly every one of them smoking. There was so
much smoke in the room that a blue smoke haze was hovering over the
floor, rising to about 3-4' high. It was so think that you literally
could not see the legs of people standing more than 10-15' from you.
The room apparently had little or no ventilation so all of the smoke
that had been produced during the two hours of the opening was still
in the room. The scene was really quite surreal.

Have not been back there in a long time so hopefully things have
changed. If not I would plan to only attend the opening of a show at
that place with a good oxygen mask!!

Sandy King