Re: Problem with cyanotype

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/14/02-09:12:29 PM Z

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Richard Urmonas wrote:
> > before throwing the fe am citrate, try adding some drops of potassioum
> >
> > dichromate to the working solution until the blue disappears.
>
> I quickly tried this. I added some dichromate and the solution did
> become cleaner. I coated some paper with this. Washing it before dry
> showed no staining (previously I had staining). However once the paper
> had dried I had a similar amount of stain to the original solution.
> Perhaps my citrate is very bad, and so I need to add more dichromate,
> but first I will see if I can get good citrate.

Richard, in my experience, though that "fix" with dichromate may work
theoretically it doesn't work practically. That is, the printing time is
so extended and the print quality so degraded (BEYOND contrasty), it's
unlikely to yield a satisfactory print. Time might be better spent
calling the source, explaining the problem, giving them the batch number
and asking if they have a bottle from a different lot.

Also, if it's good to start, it really does keep for years.... and 100 g
would only make 5 batches of cyano anyway, leaving none for VDB or toner
or whatever. So if you find a good source for 500 g, it's less grief & you
can share with a friend, make tee-shirts, or.... whatever.

J.