RE: making gold chloride

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/17/02-11:30:39 PM Z

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Eric Nelson wrote:
> ...The fumes are really bad but I am still
> working from that solution made nearly 10 years ago.

In other words, the gold chloride in solution keeps??? I had some I'd
bought about 15 years ago & never used, a very little bit, like 5 cc of 5%
solution in a tiny glass container with screw cap. I sent it to a friend
who's doing some testing on gold toning of VDB. She said it didn't work.
There could of course be a dozen other reasons -- but I thought maybe I
was wrong about it keeping??????

> Confronted w/the need for AuCl, I'd probably opt to
> buy it nowadays, given all the time involved and the
> inherent nastiness of the process of making it. Once
> done, one still has to figure out how to come up w/ an
> X% solution, which takes some higher math skills that
> some brain at DF Goldsmith helped me on years ago.

The back of some book has a chart for that -- tho I can't remember for
sure which ... But I'd bet there's a chart on the Internet you could just
download. (There's one for mortgages and compound interest, for
instance.)

I'd buy gold chloride today, too (if I didn't have any teeth or whatever
hanging around), but gold chloride is now much cheaper. We didn't used to
know places to get it for $8 a gram...

> Yes, one is playing w/fire doing this and flirting
> w/several kinds of possible disasters especially if
> crazy enough to do it indoors, but I wouldn't get bent
> outta shape if someone said they were going to try it.
> Forewarned is......

I think it's safer than the thruway... Statistics much better.

cheers,

Judy