reciprocity failure chart failure

From: Shannon Stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/19/02-09:14:28 AM Z

I have developed about six of the forty or so 8x10 negatives I made
last week in TN. They were made under low light conditions, on
rainy, cloudy days, under trees with leaves, down in a creek bed.
And they seem to be consistently overexposed. I was using Kodak's
reciprocity failure chart for Tri X, and I developed them in D76 1:1.
I wonder if this chart may not work the same for all film/developer
combinations? The shadow densities are falling in the area of
0.7-0.8. I can probably print these negatives with some care, but I
wonder if anybody has done any testing about reciprocity failure and
how people estimate their long exposures. My exposures ranged from
about five seconds to ten minutes, in one case. Most of them were
about two to three minutes.

Kodak's chart says, for example, that if your metered time is 10
seconds, your actual time is 50 seconds, and to cut development by
20%. I haven't been trimming the development time, but I plan to
start doing that for the next batch to see if that helps.

--shannon