RE: vho bl tubes

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/31/03-09:31:02 PM Z

David wrote:

>I see no reason why they wouldn't work. As I understand it, the main reason
>they are not used so often is that the ballasts are a lot more expensive
>than the standard units.
>
>Regards
>David

I think there is no question but that the VHO tubes will work. The
issue for me is will they shorten exposure times enough to justify
the cost, which are fairly significant since both the tubes and
ballast cost quite a bit more than regular tubes and ballast.

Another issue is total wattage. I am working at this time with a 12
unit bank of 48" normal output BLB tubes, at 40 watts each, for
total of 480 watts. The same unit in VHO design would consume 1380
watts. That is near the limit of modern circuits and may be too much
for some circuits in older homes.

Sandy King