Re: More on ortho-lith film

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 10/25/02-12:40:14 PM Z

Hi:

I've been doing a lot of work using ortho film as an in camera negative.

I started use LC-1 - it is capable of providing a very precise contrast
range. Dave Soemarko has formulated the developer so that it is used in
two parts. Changing the dilution of the developers changes the resulting
contrast. Its possible to control the contrast to fit your scene and your
printing method using his developer.

The formula is online here:

http://members.aol.com/fotodave/Articles/LC-1.html

The only problem with LC-1 is that it is very slow - an ASA of 1.

In my work with large pinhole cameras I found that the slow speed made
things difficult - hour long exposures :(

I use Kpgraphics (Kodak's commercial arts division) CGP film - Its really
expensive getting Arista litho film in Canada.

See http://www.kpgraphics.com/USC/products/film/conv/index.html

CGP is available is sizes from 8x10 to 52 inch wide rolls 200 feet long.

I think there is also a pan-chromatic litho film available.

I started to work on my own developer formulation that would produce a
continuous tone negative from ortho/litho film.

I preflash the film - this gives the film a higher ASA - (12) and extends
the scale - Using a stouffer step wedge I'm able to get something like an
18 step negative from CGP film with my developer.

I'm still fiddling with the developer.

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2