Re: films for scanning

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 10/25/02-07:12:25 PM Z

Sandy,

Jon Cone gave a (B&W) film-by-film scanning comparison lately on the
piezography list. In short, as far as piezography goes, the more the
grain the worse the scan. Grain creates problems for the software's dot
pattern.

 From my own experience, certain films grain structure seems to create
problems, especially if you sharpen. Kodak EPN comes to mind as a
particularly odious film for scanning. I'd be interested in hearing from
folks who have scanned Kodachrome and slower Ektachrome emulsions too.
I'd also like to see what comparisons between Kodacolor vs. Ektar would
tell.

-Darryl