ortho film and halftone

From: Monnoyer Philippe (monnoyer@imec.be)
Date: 10/28/02-10:23:49 AM Z

Could anyone on the list show that a density range of 2.0 or more is achievable on ortho film (with LC-1 or whatever low contrast diluted developper), that with a full tonal range between fog and d-max.
My feeling is that those of you who are talking about halftones have indeed halftones, but with a shorter range than on normal halftone film. Such a shorter range is therefore of no help for Pd or Pt/Pd.
That's why I asked if anybody had DlogE curves for such processing of ortho films.
If the curve slope is steep, one is not able to expose that film with an halftone original and keep all its values in the resulting interpositive.

So ? Any input ?

Thanks,

Philippe,
Belgium