Calotype, Liquid Light and Martin Becka

From: filmpro (filmpro@mac.com)
Date: 09/01/02-11:25:54 AM Z

Hello!

I'd appreciate your opinion on a project I'd like to try. I love Martin
Becka's Calotypes. Particularly that he uses an "Ingres" paper creating
those lines in the print.

I'd like to achieve this look. Not knowing more about Calotype than what
i have read hear and a few books, i was thinking of some alternative
processes to achieve the same look.

1) Coat the same ingres paper w/ liquid light instead. Use this in camera
or in the darkroom projecting a positive.

When printing this negative, should i have the same painterly effect?
assuming i waxed the neg? I realize liquid light would be on the surface
rather than in the paper.

A bigger short cut. Since the look I'm going for is the irregular 9or
regular) light pattern of the laid paper, could you get the same result
with a conventional enlarged negative sandwiched with a waxed sheet of
ingres paper?

Finally, to those who are familiar with Martin Becka's work, are these La
Gray's negatives printed emulssion side down? That is my assumption, but
i do remember someone telling me that after waxing to print emulsion side
up for the painterly effect. That I do not know since I haven't seen a
reall waxed paper neg.

Thank you

Mac