Re: silane

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/02/02-08:23:13 PM Z

     Hi Keith! No, this is great you posted this to the list, because we
were discussing using silane as an additive to improve adhesion in liquid
emulsion, and since the liquid emulsion topic comes up every couple months,
it is timely.
     Do you think it may be worth a try to use just regular old PVA in the
mix? Now, I did try some experiments mixing stuff in emulsion--powdered
pigments, for instance, and it still worked great even tho NEVER use red
powdered pigment--it looks gross. Powdered pigment into emulsion goes a
looooooooooonnnng way. But if Jack says to mix heavy cream into it to
emulsify, I don't know why a little PVA wouldn't do something...but I had no
problem at all getting emulsion to adhere to aluminum that was 1)sanded 2)
coated with an oil based polymer varnish, to which I also added gold
pigment...have not tried gum, tho.
     Chris