Bill Jay Writing on Ansel Adams

From: Marco Milazzo (mmilazz1@elp.rr.com)
Date: 09/05/02-09:29:02 PM Z

I haven't read the article, but thought I'd throw this in:

Someone asked Ansel Adams how he thought his reputation would fare in the
future, and he said something like:

There will be three stages. The first stage will be when I die, and for a
time, my work will be highly esteemed. Then there will be a second stage
when my work will be reviled. Finally the third stage, a long time after
will fix my true reputation.

(This was a paraphrase -- maybe someone can quote him exactly.)

This seems to me like an accurate model for how the "stock" of these protean
figures rises and falls. (In ceramics, Bernard Leach is now undergoing the
second phase.) IMHO, Adams will end up as someone once described him: "The
best 19th century photographer who worked in the 20th century."

Marco