Re: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/05/02-02:49:49 PM Z

Keith Gerling wrote:

> Judy sez:
>
> "There may be mastery, beauty, et al, in Adams, but no revelation. We KNOW
> nature is grand."
>
> Oh we do? Is that a universal truth? Hardly. Many (perhaps most) would
> gladly forfeit the "grandness" in return for monetary rewards. Adams
> revelations were elementary: he revealed that these places even EXISTED.
> The Hetch Hetchy valley was destroyed and will never be seen again. Why?
> Because it happened before people like Adams could "reveal" it to us.
>
> Keith (in a particularly tree-hugging mood)

Agreed, and in fact, thinking over some of our conversations of late, it
occurs to me that Ansel Adams did more for the environment than all the
photos of clearcuts and suburban encroachment etc have done in the last
30 or 40 years..
Katharine (bucking for best 19th century photographer of the 21st
century :^)