Re: DAGUERREOTYPES PLATES

aikus2@freestart.hu
Date: 09/06/02-09:20:25 AM Z

> A couple questions about the silver plates.
>
> 1) Can a regular sterling silver sheet be used? or does the copper act in
> the process?

The copper part of the plate is not necessary to make daguerreotype images, there was used a few other silver holder materials (not widely).

> 2) I have some copper plate that is used in circuit boards. I remember
> putting a penny in the used fixer and the penny getting plated with
> silver. Is there any reason i can't plate my own copper in old fixer,
> then polish it?

We used this technology by a workshop to make cheaper plates to practise the proces with the participants. The problem of this method to make an enough pure silver layer is nearly impossible because the sulphurous gases what arising while this process. To control this problem you need to find the better level of the power (amperage, voltage). As I remember very low volumes was the better. You need to use very clean and well polished copper plates.

Another problem the result of the bubbles about the quality of the silver layer (mechanically) probably this type of plate not good for multile use.

Good luck!

Bálint Flesch