Re: acids

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 09/08/02-09:37:01 PM Z

Holy Cow . . nitric acid is a lot tougher, rougher and meaner than acetic
acid AND also sulfuric acid. It is nothing to mess with at all.
AND, if you mix hydrochloric and nitric acids you will achieve 'aqua regia',
or, royal water. this will dissolve gold and platinum.
  On the order of being dangerous it is:
1. acetic acid normal
2. glacial acetic (a concentration)
3. hydrochloric acid
4. sulfuric acid
5. nitric acid
6. aqua regia

  Either 28% acetic acid or glacial acetic acid are our mainstays in
photography. In a pinch, a clear vinegar could be used as a stop also
  Hydrochloric acid in a dilute form used to clean fireplace soot dirty
ceramic tile and concrete driveways is called muriatic acid.
  Sulfuric acid is used in car batteries and will etch away your clothing in
a short amount of time.
  Nitric acid is laboratory stuff.
  Aqua regia is for professional people who know what they are doing .. .
only.

Jack