Re: printing with light bulbs; Swiffers

From: Paul Martinez (paulmartinez@telocity.com)
Date: 09/10/02-12:32:55 PM Z

Wasn't Weston a big fan of the Azo - Amidol combination?

Azo it might not be a *modern* paper, but you can buy
it at the store and the scale is pretty long. I
knocking out some contact prints over the weekend and
with a 15 watt enlarger bulb, printing times are at
least a few minutes.

On Tue, 10 September 2002, lrryr@attbi.com wrote:

> Wrap some tape around the bulb, leaving a smaller and
> smaller area open untill you get what you want. At
7.5
> watts heat shouldnt be an issue.
>
> Larry
> > My excuse for asking this question is that we
> discussed a month or so
> > ago the fact that Weston printed with a light
bulb.
> It was suggested
> > that you could do this nowadays by using a 7 1/2
watt
> bulb and
> > regular silver gelatin paper. I did that today,
> somewhat
> > successfully, but the printing times were really
> short, like 8
> > seconds. The light bulb is about 40" above
the paper,
> as high as I
> > can reach. IT's an unfrosted bulb. I had a
reflector
> on it but that
> > caused hot spots, so I took it off. How can I
slow
> these times down
> > to have more time to manipulate the print? These
> modern papers are
> > shockingly fast! And their scale is shockingly
short!

> > The other burning question is: would Weston have
used