RE: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 09/14/02-06:53:00 AM Z

Mac,

> can anyone point me to some modern ambrotypes on the web? On my google
> search i seem to only find 19th century or reenactments.
>
> I'm interested in trying this process with modern imagery.

I share your interest in this process. I have a new darkroom and am
pondering....

As I'm sure you know, ambrotypes are collodian on black-backed glass, making
them "read" positive... Once you learn collodian you can use it to make
ambrotypes, tintypes or for glass plate negatives - but collodian/wet plate
is at the heart of the issue.... unless you choose to forego collodian and
use a liquid silver emulsion instead - as, for example Jane Hinds Bidaut has
done....

Do a search on any of the artists working this process represented in Lyle
Rexer's "Photography's Antiquarian Avant-Garde: The New Wave in Old
Processes," including:

Jane Hinds Bidaut (or see her lovely, now heavily discounted, book
"Tintypes")
Mark Osterman and France Scully (they teach the collodian process in
workshops)
John Coffer (OK, mainly CW reenactments, but he's' good at the process and
also teaches collodian - you should see the handbook, written by hand *in
pencil*!!)
Stephen Berkman
Jody Ake
Jean-Jacques Salvador
Christine Schiavo (tintypes again)
Dan Estabrook
Warren Neidich (More CW reenactments)
Luis Gonzalez Palma is doing ambrotypes...
And, of course, Sally Mann is a convert to collodian

Hope this helps!

Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine