RE: Van Dyke Problem

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 09/15/02-07:56:46 PM Z

George,

Looks like a problem I've had, but with finer "pitting" that vaguely
resembles very coarse reticulation. It occurred for me on Arches Aquarelle
hot-pressed paper, and I believe it is caused by uneven absorption of the
sensitiser. The paper you're using may be partly to blame, but maybe you're
also making it too wet. I got rid of it by slapping on the first coat
quickly (w/foam brush), then going over it with a dry brush, and then a hair
dryer. It's not necessary to get it bone dry at this stage, just don't
allow the paper to stay too wet for too long. After the hair dryer, I give
a second coat in the same way, and print when thoroughly dry.

At the moment I'm using Arches Platine and have had no problems with it.
(But it prints a lot more contrasty than other papers.) In my experience,
papers can vary a bit from batch to batch, so if the same paper has been OK
for you before, maybe this batch isn't sized quite as well.

Unless someone has another explanation...

Liam