Re: news article concerning photographing in public spaces

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 09/17/02-08:30:54 AM Z

I think it's clear that our traditional rights as photographers are going to
be abridged along with our rights in so many other areas, although it
probably has more to do with evolving general authoritarian and control
issues in our society than terrorism.
A good example is the New Jersey grandmother who made the mistake of
picturing her grandchild in the bath and then having the pictures developed
at the local one-hour lab. She was hauled into court and ran up substantial
legal bills; I don't know how it was resolved.
     The other day I was shooting in the street and a security guard came up
behind me and ordered me to stop. He pointed out a non-discript building
behind me and told me it was HQ for some anti-terror Feds. Never would have
guessed that but the secret, such as it was, was now litterally "in the
street."

  Note that in France things are much worse. Everyone has a total and
complete right to the use of his image, and can claim damages if his or her
picture is used IN ANY WAY in a commercial OR news context. For example: If
the victim of a trafffic accident is photographed and the picture is used in
the paper, the victim is entitled to compensation. There have even been cases
of people trying to get into a picture in order to claim damages later.

Arthur