RE: Van Dyke Problem

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 09/18/02-06:13:44 AM Z

George,

Sorry you're still having trouble. My guess is that another process
(cyanotype, etc.) wouldn't necessarily do the same thing, but one other
suggestion. After printing, give the first rinse in pure water
(distilled/deionised), or tap water that has been boiled and allowed to
cool. Not a lot needed - say about 250 mL for an 8X10 - and leave it on the
print for about a minute, then continue washing for another minute or two
under the tap. This *might* work because tap water can cause problems in
some locations, forming compounds that produce stains (oddly, often not
until the final wash). I suspect that a lot of dissolved oxygen in the
water is the culprit (forming silver oxide), but that's only a guess; the
first rinse with pure water carries away any free silver nitrate before it
can react. (Note that pure water stays clear, whereas boiled tap water
turns cloudy, but this doesn't matter.)

Maybe this isn't your problem since it wasn't mine. But I have had it with
salt prints and another process I'm working on, so good luck! A second coat
should increase contrast/D-max, not reduce it, but will take longer to
print.

Liam