Re: Ethical issues - hit "delete" key if they bother you

From: Shannon Stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 09/21/02-12:55:34 PM Z

Carl wrote:

>Last October I did a series of pictures of the new post-9/11 phenomenon of
>profuse flag displays sitting cheek by jowl with Halloween decorations.
>(some can be seen here: http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/fp1.html)

This is a cool project. Maybe this Halloween we'll see Saddam
Hussein pumpkins and Saddam monster decorations along with the
American flags.

>This involved photographing people's homes, right up close. I didn't make a
>practice of banging on the door to ask permission, but I did work in an
>extremely open, obvious manner with an 8x10 inch view camera. Some people
>asked what I was doing and all of them were perfectly happy with my
>explanation that I was making pictures of the juxtapositions of patriotic
>displays and Halloween. I think I would have encountered a lot more
>resistance or suspicion if I'd been more surreptitiously shooting with a
>small camera.---Carl

this has been my experience also. I love to photograph people's porch
and yard decorations. When I do this with a little digital camera,
they are immediately suspicious (of what I'm not sure: planning to
kidnap their pumpkin?), but when I use the big 8x10 or 4x5, they are
interested, chatty, and even a bit flattered. I also have discovered
that photographing on weekday mornings when most people are gone from
home works better, if you don't want to talk to people while you're
working.

--shannon