Re: digital question (flaunt expertise, please...)

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 09/22/02-06:47:04 AM Z

Judy said in her message...

>But Dan --
>where was the "gum curve"? I opened every one that looked possible, but
>the only one that seemed at all possible was the cyanotype curve, which I
>loaded & will try.

There ain't one. I solicited gum curves from this very list among other
places and was told that there were too many variables to make one
person's curve useful to anyone else. So yes, you must do your own
homework on designing/modifying such a curve.

Reflection density readings are a fine way to go if you have the hardware
and the skills for such a task. Most people (myself included) use the
visual approach to curve modifying. There's a whole chapter in my book
that discusses this.

>Meanwhile, I DID get Dan's curves on the desktop by pressing option key --
>hoo ha !-- with many thanks to digital mavens in this crew.

In OSX you no longer have to remember that option-drag trick if you want
to copy CDROM files to the desktop itself. You drag it and it copies it,
much more intuitive (especially for newbies) that OS9 and lower.

Good luck with the gum curves and if you want to share them, let me know
and I'll post them on my site. Even though gum curves may be highly
individual, seeing one might help others on their way.

Dan