Re: mordancage, long

From: Nate Apkon (nmapkon@rcn.com)
Date: 09/22/02-05:51:26 PM Z

Chris:

Just got back from a day at a massive Boston "open studios" followed by
dinner & a couple of martinis...so I need to think more about what you
say in your email when my mind is clearer. However, I did spend all
day yesterday doing Mordancage using the Cootes formula with extensive
(15 min.) washed between steps, and using LPD 1:6 as the redeveloper.
 After redevelopment I used stop bath and then fixed according to my
usual B&W procedures. I got absolutely no staining. All the white
areas remained pure white, while the areas where the gelatin was removed
turned a uniform cream color. I did find that I could achieve a
beautiful deep purple (like selenium split toned) by pulling the print
from the redeveloper before it was fully developed and immersing in stop
bath asap.

BTW, I found the Cootes formula much more active than Craig's/Jon's and
had a much longer "shelf" life and capacity. I also love your simple
mixing approach.
I'll think more about what you said & get back to you tomorrow.

Nate