Re: demise of tri-x 8x10?

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 09/27/02-10:01:07 AM Z

> Hi Shannon,
>
> Well, I am not up on the latest but a few months ago I
> was in Tokyo looking for T-Max 400... I found
> information that some of Kodak's films were
> changing... the boxes had changed and the developing
> time "suggestions" were, for some EI's and some films,
> diferent.
>
> Naturally,
>
> There was no detailed explanation of why such changes
> were occuring...(none art all, infact.) I can't
> imagine why this info was hear and not elsewhere, I
> expected to hear something about it on this list but
> didn't... Perhaps we are talking about the same
> changes... if anyone knows of why the changes are
> being made, I would love to hear about it!
>
> About the data sheet, they often carry a date of
> several years earlier along with a revsion date
> (REV.)If yours is dated Sept. 18 2002, it probably
> reflects some recent change. Was the package green?
> The new films I saw in Japan were in (ugly) 1/2 green
> boxes... This could have been world wide, or just to
> confuse the Japanese as Fuji boxes are green. You
> never know what these guys are up to!
>
> Naturally!!!
>
> Ray
>

> > I looked at the data sheet for Tri-X just now. It
> > is dated september
> > 18, 2002. I wonder if this data is for the old
> > emulsion, or the new
> > emulsion? Also, how do you know if the box of film
> > you have is the
> > old Tri X or the new Tri X? Maybe the emulsions
> > will be similar
> > enough that it won't matter. I hope so.
> >
> > --shannon

> http://sbc.yahoo.com

Kodak do have their explanation on all this stuff on the web site - I
mentioned it in a feature on b/w film a few weeks back:
http://www.photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa090202a.htm

One place you will information on Kodak's site is:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/blackWhiteIndex.jhtml

However I'd also agree with the suggestion that the Ilford HP5 sheet film
is more like TRI-X than TRI-X.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com