Re: Irving Penn

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 09/29/02-04:05:07 PM Z

> One of my favorite books is IRVING PENN, published in 1984 by The
> Museum of
> Modern Art, New York. It's filled with great photos, many of which are
> platinum-palladium prints spanning many decades of this photographer's
> life.
> Subjects range from beautiful women, to mud men, to cigarette butts.
>
> I've only seen reproductions of his work, in this book. Has anyone
> seen the
> actual platinum-palladium prints? I'd be interested in hearing
> opinions on
> Mr. Penn's work.
>
> Best regards,
> Dave Rose
> Cactus Cowboy
> Big Wonderful Wyoming

I was looking at them in Hamiltons Gallery in London only a couple of
weeks ago. Some of them are certainly very fine prints, though there were
also some fine silver prints in the show - and I think these were better
prints. On till 12 Oct. The images online at
http://www.hamiltonsgallery.com/photographers/penn/pennmain.html
are pretty poor reproductions.

Penn has never been one of my favourite photographers. Somehow his work
seems to leave me cold. Some fine technique certainly. I can admire it,
but wouldn't want to have it my walls.

Can't find the book I have of his stuff. What was on show at Hamiltons was
largely very familiar and I think is well reproduced in the book I have.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/