Re: Step wedge

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 09/30/02-09:17:59 AM Z

Philippe,

I don't think X-Rite uses all the 1/2 for measurement. As far as I remember,
there are two sizes of opening they use, one is 4mm, and you use that for
halftone (or digital) film since it consists of opaque dots and clear area,
so one would like to have a wider area to measure the "average" amount of
light transmitted.

For continous-tone negative, one can use a smaller opening because light
passes through the small area and is blocked by the opacity. I forgot the
exact dimension for the opening. I think it is 1 mm (but using a 4mm opening
to measure contone film is fine too, especially if you are measuring a step
tablet. The slight difficult is when you use it to measure a small area in
your image which is smaller than 4mm. But you can use it as an approximation
and make some adjustment, or use a larger area of the image).

So there are several possibilities, you could probably order something to
adjust the opening from X-Rite. If that is not convenient for you because you
are in Belgium, using the 4mm is not so bad. It can still be used to measure
the 1/4 inch step tablet.

Dave S