bronzing/solarizing/plating out

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 04/05/03-09:10:14 AM Z

Scott Wainer,
     Did you ever figure out why your kallitypes (I think that was the
process you were using, correct?) were bronzing or plating out? I just came
across this other note in my files and was wondering if your image was
bronzing or plating or solarizing...but anyway, in reference to Van Dyke I
have noted: can be due to certain papers, using heat to dry the print,
waiting too long to expose the print, overexposing, too much coating, or not
using an acid wash in your processing so that silver plates out on the
image. I also have noted a couple places that Strathmore does this, and have
no idea why one paper would do this more than others...Unless it is more
alkaline, perhaps...
     Just thought I'd pass this on for whatever it is worth--maybe nothing.
Chris